Where I am it’s hot. Like sweaty back of the knee hot. Like sweating no matter how little of clothes you wear hot. It’s just uncomfy. So to fit the heat I made these spicy sweet potato fries with pepita guac.
If you knew me, you’d know that spice is my thing. I live for spicy food. Franks and red pepper flakes are must-haves at my dinner table. So these fries are right up my ally.
And what’s great about the spicy food I make is that I don’t have to share because my family can’t handle the heat. I call that a win win.
What’s So Great About These Spicy Sweet Potato Fries with Pepita Guac?
This recipe is a two parter. And both parts are amazing. The fries are roasted with harissa paste which I found at Trader Joe’s. They sell it other places but this is my most relatable source.
My all time favorite part of this recipe is the guac. It is everything you didn’t know your guac needed. Here’s an ingredient picture so you can see what I’m saying.
Jalapeños, avo, pepita, cilantro, and lime. Yes people this is what guac dreams are made of.
Spicy from the peppers, creamy from the avo, crunchy from the seeds, herby from the cilantro, and juicy from the lime. I will be making this as my go to guac from now on. The pepitas are now a must.
Not only are these my favorite ingredients, but I’m also showing you the best and simplest method of guac making.
And the two tools you need? A plate and fork.
I lay my avocados down after being halved and seeded. Then I start mashing with a fork. Once they are mostly mashed I add my remaining ingredients and just kind of fold together.
This method leaves it chunky and with so much texture. It is truly a moment.
Serve the guac on the potato fries with a little more cilantro and you’re in business. The guac is also great on tacos, enchiladas, avo toast, veggie omelettes, and breakfast burritos. Heck you could even make this into spicy nacho fries with some cheeseless nacho cheese and black beans. That may have to be another post.
So in the mean time enjoy this and other avocado recipes on my channel like:
Spicy Sweet Potato Fries with Pepita Guac
makes: enough to serve 4-6
- 3 avocados
- 1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded if desired
- 1 bench of cilantro
- 1/3 c pepitas
- 1 lime, juiced
- s & p
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 3 sweet potatoes, medium
- 2 1/2 T harissa paste
- 1 t garlic powder
- To make the guac, halve and seed your avocados and may together. Fold in your remaining guac ingredients (jalapeño through onion powder) and season with salt and pepper.
- For the fries, preheat the oven to 400 F. Prep your potatoes by slicing into fry shapes. I didn’t peel mine but you do you.
- Toss with the harissa paste, garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a lined baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes. You want them to browned on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Let the fries cool and dip in the guac and enjoy!