Now at my ripe age of 19, I realized I learned a very valuable lesson from my days in preschool. And that lesson was that ranch dip is the best condiment in this world. It supersedes ketchup and totally annihilates mustard in the condiment battle.
Read more about vegan apps with cashews here 3 Vegan Apps to Spice up Your Super Bowl
It all started when the daycare ladies served it alongside carrots for lunch. They were no doubt trying to get us tots to eat our veggies. And my mom thought her daughter was at least getting a nutritious lunch for those steep daycare costs. Jokes on them because all I got was an addiction to this creamy dressing.
Ranch was my ish, I put it on EVERYTHING. Pizza, chicken nuggets, Lays potato chips, fries, enchiladas, the options were endless. I was even weird enough to have a favorite brand. It was Hidden Valley or it wasn’t happening. I was even a little salty when my mom would bring home the lite version. never stopped loving ranch it is the perfect combination of creamy, herby, and rich. It can dress greens, drizzle on tacos, and be dipped by any salty chunk of veg you like. So of course I had to create a Vegan version. But I ended up making the most delicious ranch ever.
What’s So Great About This Ranch Dip?
I started by doing my research. By perusing the dressing aisle at my grocery store I found that little blue Hidden Valley ranch dip mix. You know, the one your mom would pour into sour cream so she could tel everyone she made fancy homemade herb dip. But you’re like lol it’s just ranch. Nonetheless, that stuff was delicious, but that’s because the mix has MSG in it. Monosodium Freaking Glutamate. That’s the stuff they put in Chinese food and processed foods as a flavor enhancer. And its only regarded as Generally Regarded as Safe by the Food and Drug Administration.
So because I love my followers and my internal health, I decided to skip the MSG in today’s recipe. Don’t fear though, this stuff is as addictive as the Kung Pao at your nearest China hut.
- 1 c raw cashews
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- ½ c water or cashew milk*
- 2 T Parsley flakes**
- 2 T dry chives
- 2 t dill weed
- 2 t minced onion
- 2 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- ¼ t red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1½ t salt
- ½ t pepper
- your favorite dippable vegetable medley
- Soak your cashews in warm water for 4 hours. Longer if your blender isn't super powerful. Combine cashews and either water or milk in a high speed blender. Use water for a thin dressing and milk for a dressing that is thick with two C's.
- Once the nuts have been pulverized into a smooth cream, stop the blender and add in lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and herbs. Blend it until combined and taste test it. Add more water or milk to reach your desired, dip-worthy consistency.
- Take your veggies and a fancy platter and pretend you are an elite catering company and assemble those veggies with finesse. Place your ranch in an ornate bowl in the center and stand back as your guests rave about this delicious dip. Make sure to tell them it's your one of a kind cashew herb dip when in reality its just ranch.
**Parsley and chives can also be fresh but will turn the sauce green when blended